Friday, April 16, 2010

Just take that moment.

It's been two weeks since I've updated the derby widow blog. There have been fitful half-starts. Drafts are saved on the blogger dashboard, waiting to be pushed out into the ether the moment I can do them justice. I've hesitated writing about the Albany All Stars trip, mainly because it's been covered rather well in our bout recap on powerjammers.net.

On a personal note, the best takeaway from that trip was that I was the sole Y-chromosome rolling with the B Party from start to finish of that trip, and it didn't feel odd. Perhaps it's because it's understood that I'm no creep, but I think it has more to do with the fact that this was the first trip in which I was surrounded by skaters I've shared more than ten words with...and they've been pleasant ones. You should never attempt to shoehorn yourself into every situation in the hopes that people "get used to you." It doesn't work. But in Albany the stars aligned and I had that one moment where I was among friends, and I knew it.

The sport continues to evolve, and the work that everyone puts in to take it to the next level is both hard and daunting. Never allow the blinders of your vision of derby stop you from enjoying the entire horizon. Sometimes you have to pull back, assess the present and exclaim, "Damn, this is nice. Thank you."

No comments:

Post a Comment