Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Winding down...the season, that is

The Season is winding down.  Last year, I wrote about how it feels at the end of the season. But that was just volunteer coordination and being a mascot. This year, I took on even more. 

It's a simple truth that running bout production, volunteers and announcing is a full plate. The kind that, on rougher nights, allowed me to skip the food served to skaters and volunteers and head straight to the after party where I attempted to use DJ Barera's sick beats to burn away the stress and hurt of the evening, only to wake up the next morning tired and surrounded by the aftermath of me letting off steam.
Again?

In some respects, I envy the widows who just buy tickets and sit up in the stands. They're doing something similar to what those of us working the bouts do; supporting their partners and loved ones through their attendance. I can't let stuff alone, though. While I could be content to watch Dread from the comfort of a chair and shout commentary on everything from the officiating, to the questionable haircuts of the dudes I'm sitting next to, I know that I'd pick up on what needed to be fixed and likely complain. So, rather than wait for the inevitable challenge of "I'd like to see you do better," I jumped in and did what I could to make things work.


Besides, I can watch Dread whenever I want.


Hot damn, did things get challenging in the beginning of my term. Without yanking the curtain back too far, tough decisions were made (some that really hurt), new policies and steps were added, and we dealt with all sorts of weird crap. Bout Production is now organized, almost automatic, leaving me to field questions and concerns that matter to people, like what color the pads in front of the announcer table should be, and who will tell the fans up top that the paper blocking off the restricted area is not a hammock to drape oneself across. Easy stuff.

The season's seen some great changes and I'm happy with what I've accomplished. Though we still have two doubleheaders, NHRD, and Regionals to go, I'm confident I'll get through it well enough to appreciate my slow days and focus on my interests outside of roller derby.

 It's your year, Goblin!



1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad to know that I'm as interesting to watch while sleeping as I am while I skate. Then again, I guess I only scream about helping Harry Potter when I'm asleep...

    ReplyDelete